How to properly cook vegetables in the microwave?
The microwave oven is suitable not only for heating ready meals, but also for preparing food. For example, you can cook vegetables in it. How exactly? Let’s find out!
What vegetables are suitable for microwave cooking?
First of all, it is worth understanding how the microwave works. Microwaves disperse water molecules, which begin to move rapidly and heat up as a result. It follows from this that food containing moisture can be heated and cooked in a microwave oven. Almost all vegetables have water, so any of them are suitable for heat treatment in this way.
The main principles and rules for cooking vegetables
How to properly cook vegetables in the microwave? There is absolutely nothing complicated in cooking, but there are main principles and rules:
- Fresh, ripe and juicy vegetables work best for microwave cooking. Old and old ones have less moisture, so they will take longer to cook, and they can also turn out to be tough and dry.
- Juicy vegetables can be cooked without additional moisture. And the denser and harder ones are cooked in a small amount of water (but you do not need to pour products with it).
- It is advisable to turn large vegetables once or twice in the process, especially if they are cooked with water.
- Salt and seasonings should be added to taste at the end or after cooking, as when heated, the crystals will absorb moisture and make the main product dry and tough. It is also possible that the dish will be oversalted.
- Use suitable utensils. Firstly, it should be intended for use in a microwave oven (and specifically for cooking). Secondly, the container must be of a suitable size. It is desirable that the vegetables are evenly spaced in one layer.
In this way, you can cook any vegetables whole or in pieces, one type or several at once (for example, for a vegetable salad). The process is simple: first, sort out the vegetables and wash them thoroughly, peel them if necessary, place them evenly in a microwave-safe container, cover with a lid. Next, place the dishes with food in the appliance, set the maximum power and turn on the timer. It takes 8-12 minutes to cook a whole medium-sized carrot, beetroot or potato. For chopped vegetables, 3-7 minutes is enough.
You can not only bring vegetables to readiness, but also create complete vegetable dishes. We offer recipes.
Eggplant stew in tomato
For this dish you will need:
- 500 g eggplant;
- 1 carrot;
- 50 ml. olive oil;
- 70 g tomato paste;
- a clove of garlic;
- 1 onion;
- salt and pepper.
- Wash all vegetables, peel if necessary.
- Cut eggplants into strips, onions into thin half rings. Grate the carrots with garlic, finely chop the greens.
- Place all chopped vegetables in a suitable container, pour in oil, stir.
- Send the container with a lid to the microwave for seven minutes.
- Add greens, tomato paste and pepper with salt, after stirring, cook the stew for another 2-3 minutes.
Cauliflower in cream
- a pound of cauliflower;
- a glass of cream;
- salt and any of your favorite spices, such as herbs of Provence.
- Rinse the cauliflower and divide into inflorescences.
- Place the inflorescences in a container, pour cream mixed with a little salt and seasoning.
- Place covered dishes in the microwave for about ten minutes.
Potatoes with cheese
- a kilogram of potatoes;
- 150 grams of cheese;
- olive oil or butter.
Follow the instructions:
- Peel the potatoes, place them in a microwave safe dish and cook, covered, for about five to seven minutes. If the potatoes are hard, you can add a little water.
- Cut the semi-finished potatoes across, but not completely, so that you get a kind of accordion.
- Cut the cheese into thin slices, place them in the potatoes (in the cuts).
- Grease the entire surface of the potatoes with olive or softened butter (it is more convenient to do this with a culinary brush).
- Send the potatoes with cheese to the microwave for another three minutes.
Zucchini with tomatoes and peppers in sour cream
- three young zucchini;
- two ripe large tomatoes;
- two bell peppers;
- 150 ml sour cream;
- salt to taste.
Cooking step by step:
- Wash vegetables, peel onions, free peppers from seeds and stalks.
- Cut zucchini into strips or rings, tomatoes – into cubes or slices, onions – in half rings, peppers – in any pieces.
- Put all chopped vegetables in a bowl, simmer under a lid in the microwave for seven minutes.
- Add sour cream with salt, stir everything, send it to the oven for another three minutes.
To cook vegetables in the microwave quickly and healthy, follow these simple recommendations:
- Before being sent to the oven, it is advisable to pierce vegetables with a peel in several places with a fork or a toothpick, or cut it shallowly with a knife. Otherwise, the product will burst and lose its attractive appearance.
- If you plan to serve vegetables not whole, then cook them chopped so that they warm up evenly and faster inside.
- Set the microwave oven to maximum power.
- The time is determined individually. Large, dense and hard vegetables take longer to cook than juicy and small ones.
- If the vegetable is not ready, turn it over and bring until tender. But remember that vegetables may soften a little after cooking, so they may remain slightly firm after being removed from the oven.
Choose a recipe and cook quickly and easily!