Benefits of flax seeds and their uses
Many people are familiar with flax seeds firsthand, and some have already tried their effect on themselves. If you still don’t know about the amazing properties of this product, be sure to check them out.
The composition and benefits of flax seeds
Flax is a plant that is distributed almost all over the world and has been cultivated since ancient times. The fabric of the same name is made from it, but the seeds are actively used in folk medicine, since they are very useful. They contain a lot of nutrients: omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, lignans, numerous essential amino acids, magnesium, manganese, selenium, potassium, proteins, glycosides, carbohydrates, phytosterols, vitamins E, F, A and group B.
Consider the useful properties of the product, which determine its widespread use:
- Due to the fiber they contain, flax seeds, firstly, stimulate the peristalsis of the intestinal walls and normalize stool, and secondly, they naturally remove toxins and toxins from the digestive tract. In addition, the product envelops the mucous membranes of the stomach and protects them from the irritating and damaging effects of gastric juice.
- The seed can be considered a complete source of protein, which is used by the body to build muscle tissue and form new cells. It is the main building material.
- It is possible to cleanse the whole body, since the product removes not only toxins and toxins, but also salts of heavy metals, poisons and other harmful and dangerous substances.
- Regular consumption of flax seeds will reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol in the blood and minimize the risks of developing such an insidious disease as atherosclerosis.
- The substances contained in the product are necessary for the smooth operation of the cardiovascular system: they strengthen the heart muscle and normalize its contractile activity, reduce the fragility of blood vessels and their permeability and increase tone. Thus, it is possible to achieve effective prevention of heart attacks, heart failure, ischemia, strokes and other serious diseases.
- Flax seeds are recommended for women, as they contain phytoestrogens – natural hormone-like substances that normalize hormones. Regular use of the product can reduce the risks of developing cancer of the reproductive female system and breast, stabilize the menstrual cycle and increase the chances of successful conception.
- Vitamin E is a real youth hormone, which is especially beneficial for the skin, as it intensively moisturizes it and helps to retain moisture, increasing elasticity, as well as giving freshness and a healthy natural tone.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are synthesized by the body, but their production can be reduced. Flax seeds will help to replenish the deficiency of these essential substances and thereby improve the functioning of the cardiovascular system, restore the structure of the articular tissues and strengthen the immune system, strengthening the body’s natural protective barrier. Also, omega-3s are good for the brain, because they increase its activity, improve memory and concentration, and increase the amount of gray matter.
- The product, if consumed regularly, helps to keep blood sugar levels under control and prevent sudden spikes. For this reason, it will be useful in diabetes mellitus.
- The benefits are due to the presence of magnesium in the composition, which reduces muscle tension, promotes proper nutrition and prevents the occurrence of seizures and spasms.
- Flaxseed is also beneficial for the body because it has pronounced antioxidant properties that allow it to neutralize the dangerous activity of free radicals for the human body. Regular use will slow down the aging of tissues and stop the processes of their oxidation, as well as reduce the risks of cell mutation and the development of cancer.
- The product has an anti-inflammatory effect, due to which it can be used for various inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, pharynx, respiratory system, oral cavity, joints and so on.
- Flax seeds are beneficial for weight loss for several reasons. The first is appetite control: fiber, getting into the stomach, swells, fills it and creates a feeling of satiety for several hours. The second is the acceleration of metabolism. With a normal metabolism, energy is consumed faster and does not go into the “reserve”, and fat cells are burned more actively.
- The product is useful for parasitic invasions, as it promotes the elimination of helminths and their waste products from the digestive system.
- Flaxseed helps in thinning thick phlegm and has an expectorant effect.
- There is a pronounced choleretic effect.
Indications and contraindications
What does flaxseed heal? This product can be used for a wide variety of diseases and disorders, such as gastritis, dyspeptic disorders, ulcers, chronic constipation, helminthiases, diabetes mellitus, heart failure, cystitis, atherosclerosis, tonsillitis, periodontitis, bronchitis, tracheitis, hepatitis, pyelonephritis, cirrhosis, hormonal disorders.
There are also contraindications, which include intestinal obstruction and atony, acute diarrhea, cholecystitis (refers to the use of seeds in its pure form), the presence of stones in the urinary or gall bladder, some hormonal diseases, as well as individual hypersensitivity to the product. Consultation with a specialist is advisable before use.
It is important to know: harm can be caused if the permissible consumption rate is exceeded. The optimal daily amount of flax seeds is about 20-25 grams per day, that is, five teaspoons or two and a half tablespoons. But some nutritionists and doctors say that the norm for adults can be up to 40-50 g, especially when treating diseases. For prevention, 25 grams will be enough.
What flax seeds to use?
How Do I Pick Truly Healthy Flax Seeds? When choosing, you need to pay attention to several important points:
- Ground or whole seed? It is best to choose whole as the shell protects the nutrients. The ground product oxidizes faster when exposed to light. If you chose whole seeds, the shell should be shiny, smooth and dark.
- Packaging. It should be intact, preferably airtight and darkened.
- Date of manufacture and expiration date. The fresher the seeds, the better. The shelf life of such a product is about a year.
- Open the seeds and feel them. They must be completely dry and smooth. The presence of stickiness signals a violation of storage or collection standards.
- Fresh seed has practically no smell, but if it has been stored for a long time and incorrectly, it can smell like staleness or mustiness.
Important: flax seeds should be stored in a closed container in a cool and dark place.
How do you take flaxseed to get the most out of your flaxseeds and get the benefits you want? Consider proven recipes:
- Pour a tablespoon of flaxseed with a glass of boiling water. Close the container tightly and leave the mixture to infuse for an hour. Next, strain the liquid. It should be drunk one glass at a time in the morning on an empty stomach at least half an hour before breakfast. Such a remedy will help with gastritis and improve digestion, relieving constipation.
- Flaxseed jelly will be useful for the intestines. Pour a tablespoon with a heap of seeds (ground or whole) with two glasses of boiling water and simmer in a water bath for two hours over low heat for an hour. Strain the jelly and drink a glass twice a day: in the morning before breakfast and in the evening before bedtime.
- To strengthen the immune system, you can use the following remedy: grind two teaspoons of the seed in a coffee grinder or blender, combine with a teaspoon of natural honey and take it before breakfast. This remedy should be consumed daily during the seasons of colds and infections.
- You can brew the product for bronchitis, asthma and other respiratory diseases. It is necessary to pour two teaspoons of raw materials with one and a half glasses of hot or boiled water. Put the container on low heat and cook the mixture for about twenty minutes, then leave for half an hour under the lid and strain. This remedy is taken in a third of a glass three times or four times a day.
- To lose weight, you can eat seeds with kefir for breakfast. It is better to fill them with fermented milk product and leave overnight. Drink the whole portion in the morning.
- Flaxseed infusion can be used externally for dermatological diseases, boils, purulent wounds. For cooking, pour three tablespoons with a glass of boiling water, and after an hour of infusion, strain the liquid and use for rubbing or compresses.
Good to know: flax seeds can also be used in cooking. They will make a healthy porridge, you can also make jelly with the addition of berries or fruits. Flaxseeds can be added to salads, hot meals and side dishes, and can be a great addition to baked goods (flaxseed is used as a base instead of wheat). And flaxseed is also included in cocktails or desserts.
Use flaxseed correctly and with health benefits!